Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Griner and the Lady Bears

A week or two before Christmas I got an email from the BU Athletic Department announcing Cub Club Night with the Lady Bears.  It mentioned floor seats, free food for the kids and autographs after the game.  Instantly a light bulb went off inside my head so I decided to propose a little road trip South down I-35.  The game was the day after the Alamo Bowl which we were not going to.  A few days before I kept getting texts from Julianne trying to get us to join them at the Alamo Bowl.  I tried and tried but after everything we did not need to spend the money. 

Anway, tickets for the basketball game were first come first serve and could not be purchased in advance.   The day of the game we loaded up the boys for a little surprise road trip.   The boys had absolutely no idea where we were going, we just told them we had a surprise and we would give them clues along the way.  Chad had his BU shirt on and so did I, although I had a zip up hoodie on too.  I packed up the boys BU shirts, Cub Club lanyards and activities for the ride.  I wish Chad were here right now to remind me of the clues but literally they did not guess it until we exited on to University Parks.  This was going to be fun!

Amazingly enough we got to the ticket office with time to spare but there was already a short line that had formed.  I did not see many kids in line so I thought surely we were good to go.  I got up to the ticket counter, showed the lady the boy's lanyards and announced we were here for Cub Club Night.  She did not have much info to give me which had me a little worried.  She handed me my tickets and that was it?  HUH?  Afterwards, I found the marketing manager who sent us in the right direction.  

Imagine the boys surprise when we were ushered down to these seats on the floor, behind the basket and directly beside the tunnel they use to come on to the court.  Christian could not believe it.  



Start of the game


Christian has mentioned several times that he wanted to go to a girls basketball game to see Britney Griner play so this was the perfect way to do that.  Ranked #1 since the beginning of the season, the Lady Bears were off to a great start!  


The boys cheered the girls on to another victory, stood up and cheered to get on the big screen over and over and Christian took loads of pictures and video on his itouch.  After the game was over, the Cub Club families were escorted to the front of the line for the autograph session following the game.  It was mass chaos at first as literally the entire crowd of the Ferrell Center rushed the floor for autographs.  Luckily they got it under control and we were the first in line.  We bought the boys t-shirts to get autographed although I wish I would have brought a basketball like another family did.  Note to self!

The boys were able to get their t-shirt as well as a team pic autographed by the entire team before they made the announcement over the loud speaker that they would only be signing the team picture and nothing else.  One of the players jokingly asked Christian why he wanted her to sign his Griner shirt.  Chad said to blame his mama and then she made a joke about not having her number in the spirit shop. When it came time for Britney to sign his shirt he was really excited that she signed in the number.  He thought that was really cool!


Here we are with our swag


To give you a better idea....


After the game we went to Buzzard Billys for dinner and drove around the campus in awe.  RGIII just won the Heisman so it was really cool to see the recognition around the campus.



It's a great year to be a Baylor Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment