Ok, I have to backtrack a bit as I forgot I had taken these pictures until I downloaded them to my computer today. This past September 11th marked the 10 year anniversary of the most violent attacks on American soil. I, just like every other American, remember exactly where I was and what I was doing that morning. 10 years ago on September 10th, Chad and I had a kitchen fire. I was frying dove and a spark from the stove jumped in the skillet and it burst into flames. Talk about frightening. Later that night we went down to Sonia's house to spend the night. I remember waking up very early the next morning to call my boss and let him know I would not be making it in to work that day. I hung up the phone and sat down on her couch to watch the Today show when they broke in with the horrifying news. Then, with my own eyes, I watched the second plane hit the second tower and it was immediately evident that this was a terrible attack on our country.
On the 10th anniversary, I woke up at 7:00 am to watch all of the coverage on Good Morning America. I could not peel myself away from the t.v for three hours, it was heart wrenching to see the pictures of people jumping to their death, to see the cloud of smoke chasing people down the street, to see the stories of all the children that lost a parent that day but awe inspiring to see the incredible memorial and tribute that was built.
On the Friday before September 11th I pulled in to the driveway of Carson's school to see it lined with hundreds of little flags. Grandma had spent the night and was in the car with me that morning as we took the boys to school. To see the flags flying from one end of the school to the other made an incredible impact on me that day. It was impressive. That afternoon the entire school went outside for a small ceremony where at the end each student released a balloon into the sky. To see these kids pay tribute to something that happened well before any of them were born was amazing.
Christian's school also took time to remember 9/11 by the students forming a circle around the track and having a moment of silence. I am so proud of our schools!
Here are a few patriotic pics of the boys Sunday morning as we were leaving for church.




No comments:
Post a Comment