A couple weeks ago I took the boys to the dentist for their cleanings. At the end of the visit the hygienist called me back to review their findings, brushing grades, etc. Unfortunately we walked right past the check-out counter to the computer monitor that had Puff's x-rays up for me to see. It did not take long for me to notice the cavities in his teeth, without them being pointed out. The poor thing had 4, yes I said 4 cavities and one of those would need a crown. (GASP) Talk about humiliating. I believe this qualifies as #failing. How could I have one child that to this day has not had a single cavity and a second child with a mouth full, not to mention needing his sealants!
We broke the treatment down into two visits. He received the sealants and 2 cavities on one side on the first visit and then today we went in for the crown and filling on the other side. Both visits to the dentist, I have been amazed at how quickly he has gotten through. This morning about 50 minutes after we walked in to the office, we were checking out. The dentist said he did great despite him begging me to go back to school the entire drive their. We pulled in the parking lot and he said, "all my friends are probably at the CAFETERIA now". I was not sure how this visit was going to go.
But to my surprise he was fine.......for the time being. Before we left she told us to wait at least an hour before giving him something to eat so we decided instead of rushing to grab a quick bite and head back to school that we would go to Yai Yai and Aunt Tawnie's office to visit for a bit. We hung around for about an hour and then Sonia, Carson and I left for lunch.
Fast forward about an hour and a half and it is now time to head north to pick Christian up from school. We got in the car and made the 15 minute drive north. As soon as we put the car in park, Carson jumped out of his seat, leaned over me and said, "my lip is big". I casually turned to look and to my surprise I was greeted with this very sad face...
Talk about startled. I immediately wondered if he was having an allergic reaction since he has had reactions to medicine before, but after a quick call to the dentist's office and further inspection of his lip, it was obvious that at some point while his lip and face were still numb, he had chewed on it.
I was told on the phone that it could swell up to the size of a baseball, last for several days and I just need to keep an eye on it. When Christian got in the car, his sweet older brother didn't have much sympathy for him. He immediately pulled his head back and asked what happened. For the next few minutes he told Carson how embarrassing it will be when he goes back to school tomorrow.
Thanks brother.
Did I mention school pictures are tomorrow? Lovely.



No comments:
Post a Comment